Monday, February 14, 2011

My Husband is a Pretty Rad Dude.

Photobucket
I know that I've told you all the story of how my husband and I first met. And how I basically knew right away that I would marry him and how love at first sight really does happen. Yadda Yadda Yadda.. insert gooshy here.
But what I probably haven't told you is how much my husband had to go through to love me.
See, I didn't really come from the world's best situation before I met my husband. We lived in a small town.. and you know how small town people like to talk about everyone's drama. Mine was no exception.
When we first met and started dating.. a lot of people, including his family, told my husband that he shouldn't date me. "It won't last.." they would tell him. "She's not what you want.. she's not good enough.." They were in my husband ear, all the time telling him what THEY thought about me.. Never thinking about what my husband actually thought.
He never listened to that. He never believed what everyone thought they knew about me.

He never judged.
He never questioned.
He just got to know me. He actually took the time to know me.

And very slowly he peeled back all the layers and figured out the REAL me. He realized that his friends and his family were all wrong.
I remember he sat there once after a few months of dating.. on the edge of my bed, as I was sleeping. I woke up and saw him sitting there watching me sleep. The mixture of the street lights and twilight lit up his face. I asked him how long he'd been sitting there....and he said..

"I had to come over and tell you something. I just wanted to tell you that I am in love with you."

I remember that moment like it was yesterday. I remember that moment when things are hard. I remember that moment when I want to give up..
Because it was in that moment that I knew that he was all I ever needed.
I think what has gotten us through the past 7 years.. (WHOA 7 Years..!) is that he is truly my best friend. Truly.
Don't think that we have the perfect marriage. Nobody does. Marriage is really hard. We don't like each other all the time. He yells.. I yell. Sometimes we get annoyed. There are struggles and disappointments..tremendous hardship.. But good in these past years has always outweighed the bad times. I think that we have done some amazing, full, joyous, adventurous things together. We have done and seen and experienced life's amazement's TOGETHER. I have done things I would have never had the courage to do if he wasn't my husband.
It makes me proud that we have made it here. It makes me proud that we have proved a lot of people wrong.
I don't know what our life holds. I just don't know.
But what I do know is that I've lived for the most part a very happy, blessed, loved life because of this guy right here. I know that he has shown me the type of person I could be and pushed me to do it. I'm not sure if I hadn't gone to that truck stop with him that night for cinnamon toast, if I ever would have been in the place I am in today..
I just know that if I died tomorrow, I'd have lived the best life I could have... because of knowing him.. and loving him all of these years.
I know I don't tell you enough..
But...
I love you. I love you I love you..

6 comments:

  1. Awwww, I love it. Spoken from the heart!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a lovely love story! :D I'm happy you have each other to journey through life with. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are an amazing person Roxy...you are so lucky to have each other :). Thanks for sharing this special story!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a great story! Marriage is hard work and I'm glad you have that background to remember when the going gets tough.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Awww... it really warms my heart when I read about how happy and loved my friends are! Isn't it strange to think about "back in the day" when we couldn't find a nice guy to save our lives - and now we are married to them? Someone was definately watching over us! Happy Valentine's Roxy Babe! :) xoxoxo

    ReplyDelete
  6. Looking for the Ultimate Dating Website? Join to find your perfect match.

    ReplyDelete