Tuesday, January 25, 2011

Connections.

Photobucket
"I went to the woods because I wished to live deliberately, to front only the essential facts of life, and see if I could not learn what it had to teach, and not, when I came to die, discover that I had not lived." Henry David Thoreau, Walden

It's coming.

The beautiful sun is coming.
I think that in the short time I've lived in Alaska, this part of the winter is what I really love the most. We have come out of the -40,-30, oh my heavens it's too cold stage and we are now into the light, lovely winter. The temps hover from 0-20.. and it is magical. The colors of the snow and the sky and everything seem to turn these amazing blues and pinks..
It's like our own special season that no on gets to have.
.
I'm pretty sure if Alaska was like this for a majority of the year, I'd be a pretty happy girl.
When I stood outside today to take this picture.. I thought about all the places that I have seen this year that I could have stood and looked at all my life..tell I fell over dead and been completely happy. It's amazing how you have a connect to something like that.
.
I know that there is a possibility that I wont live here forever. But I'm thankful for the time I've spent here.. the things I've seen and the people I have met.
It's pictures like this sunrise this morning that make me constantly thankful for all of that. Even when I am being a turd and I can't remember why I came here in the first place, it's these little moments, spaces where I find the answer.
.
And this feeling has snuck up on me. Alaska has changed from "a place I live" to "a place I am from". I may be a girl from Peabody, Kansas.. and that will always be my "HOME".. But I am from many other places.. I have histories in each of those places. The place where I grew up, the place where I first fell in love, the place that showed me how life can change from terrible to wonderful in a very short time, the place where I married my husband. I am from all of these places..and I love all of these places for how they have changed me.
.
And now Alaska... A place where we have carved out an existance by ourselves.. A place where we have struggled so hard, but we are still here..Watching for a sunrise of a better day.. I have a history here now. A history that I have built and I am proud of. I will always be connected here. And even if our time here ends tommorrow or 5 years from now, I'll know that this is a place I can always come back to.. and still know that feeling off connection is still here..
.
What about you? Where is your place? Where are you from? Where do you go to get connected?

9 comments:

  1. Oh Rocksee, What a lovely tribute. Those perfect moments... are amazing things when we take the time to notice them.

    I have lived in the same place, actually the same exact house, all my life. I am home here. It is far from perfect but I love this little blue/grey house tucked into the corner of a small alley in a little quiet town.

    A late night in the early winter with snow cascading down and the hush across the land. THAT is my perfect moment and makes up for all the leaks in the roof, drafty cracks in the doors and windows and even all the plumbing problems. In those moments outside breathing as quietly as I can so as to not disturb God's peace... I am complete.

    ReplyDelete
  2. "In those moments outside breathing as quietly as I can so as not to disturb God's peace.."

    Oh how I love that Chickee.. I love that.

    I think that it is so amazing that you have lived in the same hous all your life. I could only wish that... that warmth that comes from all your memories being tied into that place.

    I envy you.. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful post! Thanks for stopping by my blog and Welcome to Alaska!! We live close, which is always fun. I won't say this time of year is my favorite, but I love to watch the days literally grow...every day now. :) Happy day to you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I grew up in MA and then CO. I'll always have a connection to MA because of my family and all the love that was present there. Because of the last yr my connection to CO will always be one of sorrow and I dont know if I'll ever go back.

    With the military I was fortunate to live all over the US but Alaska...Alaska is where I BELONG. The minute I stepped foot here I knew that this is where my soul was meant to be. I felt like I could stop looking, as I had found what I had been missing. Alaska has my heart, and I will never live anywhere else again.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love this post.
    I was born and raised right where I am now, in Florida. I've only moved within this county. I love it here, but when my kids are grown I want to travel and maybe live further South. I've never even been to the Keys!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Karla-

    Good to meet you! I too looooooove to watch the days get brighter and brighter.. it never seemed like such a big deal when I lived down south.. but we follow that sunlight like stalkers here in AK.. Every minute counts!


    Lisa-- Maybe someday Colorado will change your mind a little.. ?

    DM- I have heard the Keys are AMAZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZING... If you go, there better be pics so we can live vicariously through you!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Mmmmm, I dont think so but I guess you never know. I was 12 when we moved from MA to CO and I never liked CO to begin with. I hated being landlocked and I just never enjoyed that state. I only went back over the yrs to see my dad. I think if I ever go back it will be to see my stepmom.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I am linking this post up at www.HalfPastKissinTime.com for Saturday Sampling, because it's an awesome post. =)

    ReplyDelete
  9. This is nice. My sister ("from" Wisconsin) has lived in Anchorage for at least 20 years now. I'm sure she could relate. There's no place like home, and sometimes, home changes.

    ReplyDelete