Sunday, November 7, 2010

the big chill..

"Normal day, let me be aware of the treasure you are. Let me learn from you, love you, bless you before you depart. Let me not pass you by in quest of some rare and perfect tomorrow. Let me hold you while I may, for it may not always be so. One day, I shall dig my nails into the earth, or bury my face in the pillow, or stretch myself taut, or raise my hands to the sky and want, more than all the world, your return."

I read this quote today and instantly fell in love with it. It's the perfect quote for winter time don't you think?

Photobucket

The winter has offically set in. The sky is grey and pouty. The trees are finally all frozen over, sheening with a sparkle of ice all across their leaves. It looks cold, detached, completely bearen. Sometimes all you want to do is hope for tommorrow and pray that the day is filled with some little sense of light or some small hint of golden autumn.

But that never happens. Not for 6 long months.

Photobucket

A person once told me that if you can survive a Fairbanks, Alaska winter, you will be able to survive almost anything. I like that. It makes me feel a bit smug and a tad more.... to quote Alaska's favorite reality star.. ehmm.. I mean ex-govenor.. a tad bit more "rogue". I can instantly point out the new families in town now as they come to Fairbanks scared of what there first winter will hold. They kinda stick out like tourists on a bad vacation, bundled up in there large parkas and oversized boots.. far to much for the temperature of the moment.. warming up there cars for 45 mintues before they get into them.. not knowing what will happen or what's to come. It makes me wonder how I looked when I first got here... sticking out like a sore thumb.
Photobucket

But being ready for winter doesn't mean you don't miss the sweet Alaska summers, or the tiny tint of autumn. It doesn't mean that when you pass a frozen lake your heart doesn't ache for just a moment, know all the beauty that is locked up for the winter underneath.

Photobucket

But like tough little Alaskan's.. you move on.. you keep going.. life still keeps at a never ending pace. Your biggest goal is to try to move through it, just as you would if you had the sun at your back. You just move a little quicker.. :)
Photobucket

This winter I'm going to vow not to hibernate.. to get out there and enjoy all I can of the winter. Aurora watch, moose hunt (for pictures!) and people watch.. and bring that all to you. I hope it will give me something to do.. and a little something to keep me out of trouble.

Photobucket

I tried this morning to find you some moose on the way home, with no such luck. A friend of mine had one of our larger, furrier friends come right on to her back porch recently and stick his nose right on her her kitchen window.

She broke a cup at the sight of her surprise visitor. Maybe he just wanted some coffee?

But hopefully soon I can find you some large furry friends to see on this blog.. and I can keep my title as "moose whisper".

But until then.. I will just keep watching.. posting.. and sharing with you whatever I can this winter.

I do believe I will try very hard to keep it quiet in our little neighborhood.

Well at least until Mrs. Neck wakes up.
Then all hell is likely to break loose.


Happy Sunday!

2 comments:

  1. There is always stuff to keep us busy in the winter, but sometimes we just have to go looking for it.

    I'm looking forward to the dogsled races at Musher's Hall. Of course, we need a sufficient amount of snow before they actually run. :/

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can't wait until you blog - I love it! I think the photo of the cherries and the trees are beautiful!

    ReplyDelete