Wednesday, December 16, 2009

Care Packages ROCK!

If I could tell you one thing about living in Alaska and having the rest of your family in the Lower 48, or the "outside" as they call it here, is that sometimes it can be very lonely. Having no family here is a constant reminder that you are almost a country away from them.. and it's winter.. and your not leaving.

My family and friends live 3 time zones away. 3. That's alot. When your awake and want to talk, there asleep and wanna stay that way. I don't have the benefit of Skypeing them because my mom lives in an area were high speed internet is costly. Dial up is all thats close to affordable for her.

I have to rush home each night in order to catch them at a decent hour on the phone. Sometimes with work hold ups I can't get there before they go to bed.

It's a never ending cycle.

But it's nice in a way because it's taught me how to be more appreciative of mail. Letters, boxes anything.. it lifts my spirit. It's like Christmas when someone is kind enough to take there time and send me something so far away.

My friend Holly has been great about sending me little pick me up's which I could not begin to thank her for.

But my momma.. she has tried very hard to stay connected..

YESTERDAY I had such a terrible day.

But I got this in the mail..



and now I have christmas presents under the tree..

And I got this..

Now I have my momma's cookies.. which my husband loves.. As you can tell by the fact that they are almost gone.


She sends me cards which I got today.. so great.. She sends me small things that her and her daycare kids have done.

Its such a pick me up.

The winter is here and when most of the day is full of darkness, you need a little light in your life.


Thanks MOMMMA~!

9 comments:

  1. I love surprises in the mail. I hope you are doing well and your husband is feeling well too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a good Momma you have!!! Those small things from home do mean so much....just to see familiar handwriting is so comforting!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Awwww what great family and friends you have. The snow looks so pretty. I wish it would snow like it did last year here in Seattle. We loved it! I hope you have a blessed Christmas!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Mommas rock too! That was so sweet of her.

    ReplyDelete
  5. That was what I missed the most. My family.It is a lonely feeling you just cant describe. Hopefully your momma will make it up there this next summer. Visits are so sweet.Ü

    ReplyDelete
  6. Aww I"m glad you were able to get a taste of home! Care packages are awesome :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yay for care packages!
    Merry Christmas to you and your husband!

    ReplyDelete
  8. How nice!! I love packages too :) Wishing you more "light" this winter!!

    ReplyDelete