Tuesday, July 7, 2009

Welcome to Our Town: 4th of July in Pictures

Welcome everyone to my town... Here is a view of the city center right before the parade started on July 4th, 2009.
My town, which we will keep a secret, hosts the largest fireworks display for probably all of south central KS.
This is a very big deal, because we are so close to very large metro cities and we only number about 900 people.
Everyone in my town is has gone to this celebration all there life. It's like Christmas to us. We take it very seriously.
At the fireworks this year, the announcer told us that one of our oldest citizens told him that she had gone to every celebration for 92 years.
That's some pretty serious stuff.

Here are the kids getting ready for the parade to start. They kept walking out in the middle of the road to look for the police car.. the offical start to the parade!
This is Kenny. He is my town's version of the character "Radio" from the movie with Cuba Gooding. Don't think I am making fun, cause I am not. Kenny is about the single most raddest dude in our town. He is the nicest, sweetest, most kind hearted person. AND HE LOVES our town. He's the president of the Booster Club, the lead recycler in the county. All day he rides around looking for cans and rocks out to his awesome stereo.
I love Kenny. Here is my momma's Red Hat Club float. They worked SOOO hard on there float this year in order to get 1st place in the parade for the float's division. They were the ONLY float this year and got 3rd.. HOW DOES THAT WORK?? (that's my momma standing at the very top waving) Finally it's time to head down for the fireworks at the football
field!!!
We kinda got there a little too early.. but there was great music, good friends and we occupied our time taking pictures of ourselves! Everyone was waiting and mingling with people we hadn't seen all year long! THE FIREWORKS ARE STARTING!!! The fireworks display is all done by donation. The planning takes all year to complete. It's a huge production and the pryo is actually done by people from my town. It's a tradition thats passed down alot of generations!




This is one of the first "set pieces" of Niagra Falls. My town is one of the only cities in the state who still does set fireworks pieces in there shows. They are worked on and built by volunteers and take about 2 months to complete.


Statue of Liberty! With rad fireworks shooting out the top of her flame thingy!


More fireworks!



For all of our hometown kids who are currently at war.





The End!
Before the fireworks show, we went down and took some family photos! Here is a random sampling! Theres others on the right hand side of the blog!
Ok, I try to get him to be serious.. he can't do it!



20 comments:

  1. GREAT POST!!!! And.....I think I may have a good guess as to where your home town is. I KNOW people who grew up in Marion County, I may have even been in your hometown before! Too funny! Wonder if you know anyone I know! :) Can't wait to find out!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I come from a small town that has a very similar tradition for the 4th of July.
    There's a boldly unsophisticated parade (which we love), and all the world gathers at the lakeside park for a day of food and music. (Drunkenness and brawling is optional.)
    The firework display is inordinately big for the community, paid for via donations. A bunch of drunken locals set 'em off. (Did YOU have that part? I forgot.)
    It's a big deal, and a grand time.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Awesome fireworks!
    I haven't seen good ones since I moved to Alaska since it's too light to see them around this time of year.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That's really awesome. Thanks for sharing all of those great pictures, and the neat 4th of July tradition in your town. :) The family pics are cute...!! And I can't believe a town that small puts on such a big fireworks display...that's pretty amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Small towns like that always have the best celebrations!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. wow, what a great celebration. i can't believe your mama's float came in third....there must be some float politics going on LOL

    when we lived in IL we lived in a small town, they had the best celebrations, i miss it sometimes.

    ReplyDelete
  7. So cool! I live in a large city (2nd largest in the country) and I'd love to experience a small town feeling...a sense of community and pride.

    And I love the family pics...turned out great!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love it!!!!! My Momma is in a Red Hat group too :) hee hee! I felt like I was there!!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Beats the hell outta of the wildcats and bottle rockets set off by the cul-de-sac reds...Savant, are we from the same town? You're just the cutest there Rocksee ;)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow, great post! Love all the pics... its like pulling teeth to get my hubby to take pictures, although he is mellowing out the older he gets. Lol

    ReplyDelete
  11. Love the pictures! Makes me wish I'd have gone down to the celebration my town was doing.
    : )
    Macey

    ReplyDelete
  12. Our small town is like that too! Our fireworks put the big cities to shame... it may have something to do with the fact that country boys love to blow things up.... lol

    Looks like a blast! You and hubbs look great!

    ReplyDelete
  13. awww...great post....love the pics.....and i love kenny too, and i dont even know him!!....your little blurb about him made my heart melt!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Thanks for letting me share in the fun. I smiled looking at all the photos.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Thank you for the great post, as an aussie I found it so interesting! We also have the red hat society here...

    ReplyDelete
  16. Looks like a lot of fun! What a great way to celebrate the fourth! And the fireworks, Wow!

    ReplyDelete
  17. wow what an awesome fireworks display!! and your mom is adorable!!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Looks like a wonderful place to grow up! i love the pics of your smiling face!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Awesome fireworks show! Glad you all had fun!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Fun! We are still searching for our 4th of July traditions. They fell apart after my Grandma died.

    ReplyDelete