Thursday, June 4, 2009

Deep Thoughts with Jack Handy.

I was reading through the five zillion blogs I read every night and I came across a blog that asked if you had to write your own obituary (morbid I know) what would it say?

Well I've been thinking about this for awhile and I couldn't really figure out what I wanted to say. I mean writing your own obituary is a major thing. It reminded me of the other day when I got Hub's birth certificate in the mail for his passport.

Technically that was Hub's first offical document on this earth. I kinda got a little teary.. I know I'm such a girl.. But we think and realize these things, you know? The first thing that was ever written about my husband. I felt the same way when I looked at mine. It's kinda crazy to realize that your holding something like that in your hands.

You die and you get your death certificate, but the last offical thing that is ever written about you is your obituary. The last thing that will let people know you were on this earth.

Whoa.. that's pretty heavy to think about huh? What would the last thing that was written about you on this earth say?

Well I came up with a few:

Rocksee: Born, Lived, Died.

or

Rocksee: Died, Thank God I can get more than 4 hours of sleep now!!

or

Rocksee: Died, Surrounded by bottles of good hairspray, so she will have excellent hair in heaven.

or

Rocksee: Died with her Uggs on.

But something I have always really liked came from a movie quote. I may actually use this when the time comes.

10 points if you know the movie.

Rocksee: Died. She summed up her life like this.. "My muscles ached, it's because I used 'em. It's was hard for me to walk up them steps, 'cuz I walked up 'em every night to lay next to a man who loved me. I had a few wrinkles here and there, but I layed under thousands of skies with sunny days. I looked and felt that way, well cuz I drank and I smoked. I lived and I loved, danced, sang, sweat and screwed my way thorough a pretty damn good life."

That's about it. What more could you say?

So I'll turn it to you.. If you died.. what would your obituary say?

21 comments:

  1. Visiting From Mama Kats...

    Love your thoughts here. And I love the quote ... but have no idea about the movie ... but I want to!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know, I know! It's from the movie 'The Guardian' which I loved!

    Visiting from Mama Kat's.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I vote for the hairspray obit!
    You know what's so funny I was rummaging through mr.H's closet the other day (not snooping I swear!) and I saw a loose piece of paper and I looked at it (ok so i was snooping a lil bit). It was his birth certificate! I just started to think of that day that he was born and I got a bit misty eyed too. As an added bonus I found out his dad's name is Caesar LOL

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great obit......

    As for mine, I plan to steal Los'. It just sounds so good. Who the heck cares if it doesn't fit my true life? Just imagine all those people I went to school with....I never see them anymore....they wouldn't know. And they would be thinkin' "wow, Robin....who would have ever guessed....wish i had her life. ;-D
    LOL....
    Have a beautiful day.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have no idea what my obit would say and I am so not prepared to figure it out this early in the morning ;) lol

    Have a great day!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh geez, I'm such a weirdo, I've actually practiced in my head my own obit. I always sound way cooler than I really am!! I love the hairspray one!
    I have no idea what movie that was from! Sounds like something Shirley Maclain would say...
    You should have seen the tears over here when we got a letter from the social worker who interviewed my hubs's biological parents after he was adopted. SO SAD.
    Macey : )

    ReplyDelete
  7. I've done that exercise in a number of writing classes I've taken and also in a number of New Age, make-the-most-of-your-life classes. You'd think I'd have it down by now, but I haven't done it for a long time. I had to write the obits for both my dad and my mom and I was pleased that there was so much to put in them, but it did make me wonder what my own kids would have to say about me. Hopefully, by then, I'll have published a bunch of books and have a screenplay under my belt. Mostly I just hope they'd say I lived large and was loved even more.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Those were all great and I had no idea what movie it was from but now I want to see it.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Stopping by from Mama Kat's.

    I love your blog, I love the thoughts this post got rolling for me. :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. i liked this post a lot! i like things like this but have no idea what i would say...good thing i have you to do it for me with your words! yay!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Not sure what movie, but I want to watch it now! I enjoyed your obits, because you are right they are the last official thing about you as a person.

    ReplyDelete
  12. This is a hard one! I don't know what I would say off the top of my head but I sure love

    "Died, Surrounded by bottles of good hairspray, so she will have excellent hair in heaven."

    You are my kind of girl! LOL

    ReplyDelete
  13. No idea what movie that's from but I LOVE it!

    ReplyDelete
  14. What a great post. Stopping by from SITS to leave some bloggy love!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Great post! As a cancer survivor (3 times!) this is something I've thought of, even going so far as to jot notes for a service and obit. for my family. They don't know, though, I just keep it in an envelope w/ the "important papers".

    ReplyDelete
  16. Thanks for stopping by to read!! You're right...I picture myself standing there trying to sell those dang cookies everyone has already bought a million of....and I feel horrible for them!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Funny!

    I'm not sure what I'd say. Hrm...

    ReplyDelete
  18. Interesting... I am not sure what I want mine to say. I have to think about that one.
    I want to know what movie that saying was from... Lol

    ReplyDelete
  19. I really enjoy your blog so I just left you a surprise on my blog. Please stop by and pick it up.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Oh, I'd definately go with "finally getting some rest" on my tombstone. Obvious, maybe, as it's 1:00am where I am as I write...

    ReplyDelete
  21. lol, I love the hairspray one so you hair can look fantastic in heaven.

    I think I'd like the short and sweet, she lived, and then she died. I don't know what I'd want said for me. Hopefully I haven't pissed off enough people by then that there will only be said nice words about me. (so far, so good.)

    ReplyDelete